The crystal structure of Ni-rich gordaite−thérèsemagnanite from Cap Garonne, France

database, nuove specie, discrediti,
ridefinizioni, classificazioni, ecc.
Rispondi
Marco E. Ciriotti
Contatta:

The crystal structure of Ni-rich gordaite−thérèsemagnanite from Cap Garonne, France

Messaggio da Marco E. Ciriotti » gio 14 mar, 2019 18:16

Prossima pubblicazione.

Referenza:
▪ Mills, S.J., Missen, O.P., Favreau, G. (2019): The crystal structure of Ni-rich gordaite−thérèsemagnanite from Cap Garonne, France. Mineralogical Magazine, 83, (in press).

Abstract:
The crystal structure of Ni-rich gordaite−thérèsemagnanite has been determined from a sample collected at pillar 80 in the North mine, Cap Garonne, Var, France. The structure was refined to R1 = 0.0693 for 935 reflections with I > 2σ(I). The mineral is isostructural with gordaite, forming a layered structure with an extensive hydrogen-bonding network. The possible polytypic relationship between gordaite, thérèsemagnanite and guarinoite is also discussed. The guarinoite formula (Zn,Co,Ni)6(SO4)(OH,Cl)10·5H2O is also likely to be incorrect and is more likely to be Na(Zn,Co)4(SO4)(OH)6Cl·5−6H2O, meaning that guarinoite is equivalent to Co-rich gordaite-2H and would not be a distinct mineral species.

NdR: nel database scaricabile la formula della guarinoite era già quella corretta: http://dbami.amiminerals.org/doc/index.php?dir=Varie/. Rimane irrisolta - al momento - la questione circa la validità o meno della specie. Se Co è maggiore di Zn si tratta di thérèsemagnanite-2H. L'olotipo pare proprio non essere Zn-dominante... e in tal caso dovrebbe semplicemente essere una gordaite-2H, con valore dell'asse c circa doppio rispetto a quello della gordaite. Non è escludersi la presenza, sempre a Cap Garonne, di una fase Ni-dominante, che nello specifico sarebbe una nuova specie. Strutturalmente queste specie (gordaite, guarinoite(?) e thérèsemagnanite) sono abbastanza strettamente correlate a spangolite e jamborite
Marco E. Ciriotti

«Things are interesting only in so far as they relate themselves to other things»

Rispondi